New, optimal seal geometries are essentially developed in the following steps:
- Design of seals and sealing systems
- FEM calculations on the component behaviour under operational loads
- Filling analysis for optimal tool design
- Rheological calculation of the article
- Prototype production (as component samples in various rapid prototyping
processes or original sample from the pilot mould)
- Functional tests
- Pressing and joining force measurements
FEM analyses, in particular, reveal insights into the behaviour of sealing elements already during the developmental phase, and thereby rule out any problems at later stages.
New sealing elememts were designed with CAD construction, focused on customer requirements.